- 8oz Vodka (Grey Goose, Belvedere or favorite top shelf variety)
- 8oz Coffee Liquor (Kahlua, Mr Black Cold Brew Coffee Liqueur, or Patron XO Café)
- 8oz Coffee (strong brew) or Espresso
- 4oz Chocolate Liquor (Godiva or Tempus Fugit Crème de Cacao)
- Pinch of Sea Salt
- 1 pint, Vanilla Gelato, melted but still cool/cold (Talenti or other high-quality gelato)
- 3–4 Small/Medium Ice Cubes, per drink (do not omit, ice cubes are needed for proper dilution)
- Quality Chocolate Bar, finely grated for garnish
- Put martini glasses in the refrigerator or freezer to chill until it’s time to serve.
- Brew the coffee or espresso of your choosing. Pour into a heat proof container, add a pinch of sea salt, cover and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, combine the vodka, coffee liquor and chocolate liquor in a medium/large pitcher and refrigerate.
- When the coffee has completely cooled, add it to the pitcher with the liquors and return to the refrigerator.
- Just before serving, put vanilla gelato in a microwave safe bowl and microwave in 10-15 second intervals, until gelato is melted but still cool. Alternatively, take the gelato out of the freezer an hour or two before serving, allow to melt, then refrigerate until it’s time to serve.
- Take the chilled martini glasses out of the refrigerator or freezer.
- Add 3-4 small/medium sized ice cubes to each glass and pour equal parts of the pre-made martini mix into each glass.
- Gently spoon equal portions of melted gelato on top of the martinis. It will look like the liquor and gelato are going to mix but I promise you, after a few spoonfuls, you’ll have a nice white, floating layer of luscious crema.
- Using a vegetable peeler or microplane, shave bits of the chocolate bar over the top of the crema for garnish.
Add 1-2 teaspoons of almond or hazelnut extract to the premade martini mix to add a unique complexity.
Serve with an assortment of Italian cookies (fresh lady fingers, biscotti, amaretti cookies, pizzelle, etc.) to complement the cocktail and complete the theme. Throw in some chocolate covered espresso beans for good measure.
If you want ornate martini glasses, paint or drizzle the inside of the glasses with quality chocolate syrup before chilling in the refrigerator or freezer.
These drinks go down easily and pack a punch so please remember to take care of yourself and drink responsibly!