Soft batch chocolate chip orange cookies take the classic chocolate chip cookie we all know and love, amps up the flavor and fluffs up the texture. The resulting cookies are transcendent.
There’s no need to wax poetic about these cookies, the title says it all and they definitely sell themselves. If you like cookies and you’ve got a little time to do some baking, then you should definitely make these pronto. Your friends and family will love you for it!
A few Tips
- Make sure to have all your ingredients at room temperature before you start making the cookies. Room temperature ingredients incorporate and emulsify better than cold or cool ingredients.
- I use semi-sweet chocolate chips in this recipe but you can use milk chocolate chips or white chocolate chips. They all taste great but milk chocolate chips and white chocolate chips give you a much sweeter cookie.
- To properly zest the oranges, you will need to purchase a microplane if you don’t already have one.
- When portioning out the dough onto the cookie sheets, I like to use a medium/ small ice cream scoop. The ice cream scoop makes portioning the dough easier, faster and cleaner. Using an ice cream scoop also ensures that all the cookies are roughly the same size and shape which helps the cookies bake evenly.
- No need to chill the cookie dough before baking! Wooooo hooooo!!! One of the genius ingredients in this recipe is cream cheese. Most chocolate chip cookie recipes are made with butter. Cookies made with butter usually have to chill after portioning or the cookies will spread. Since we swap out the butter in favor of cream cheese we can just skip this pesky step.
- These cookies are amazing warm, right out of the oven but an attribute worth noting is that the orange flavor becomes more pronounced as they sit. I find the orange flavor pop’s 8-24 hours after baking.
Time to get baking!
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso or instant coffee
- zest of 4 oranges
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 12 oz semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and sea salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the softened cream cheese until fluffy and smooth, add the granulated sugar and the brown sugar and continue to beat until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla, eggs, instant espresso and the orange zest. Mix until combined.
- Add the flour mixture and slowly beat just until combined. Do not over beat.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Using a medium/ small ice cream scoop, drop scoopfuls of the dough ( evenly spaced apart) onto the prepared cookie sheets.
- Put the cookies in the oven and turn the heat down to 375 degrees.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes. Rotate the cookies halfway through the baking process. The cookies should be puffed up and tan to light brown. These cookies do not get golden brown/ dark brown like conventional cookies. Do not over bake.
- Remove cookies from the oven and transfer to a cooling rack. Enjoy!
*Cookies can be stored in an airtight container for four days
Recipe inspired by the good people at delish.com
Kitchenfairy.co is an affiliate for a variety of products, businesses and people (imaginary creatures, including but not limited to Kitchen Nymphs, Cookery Elves and all manner of Fairies). When you make a purchase, we may receive a commission at no additional cost to you. We disclaim any and all liability for purchases made through this site. Opinions expressed on this site are our own and not influenced by affiliate relationships. Affiliate links are intended to give you a valuable source for professionally curated products and services. We hope you enjoy the provisions and larder you find here.