- 2 quarts Apple Cider
- 1/2 cup of Water
- 6 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Cloves
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Allspice
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Cardamom
- 1/4 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/8 Teaspoon Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- 6 Cinnamon Sticks, broken into pieces
- 12 Green Cardamom Pods
- 2 Teaspoons Whole Cloves
- 3 Tablespoons Rum or Bourbon, per mug
- 1/4 Tablespoon Butter, per mug
- Combine all ingredients (except the alcohol and butter) in a med/ large saucepan.
- Bring the cider and spices to a boil over medium high heat.
- Turn off the heat, cover the saucepan with a lid and allow the cider too steep with the spices for fifteen minutes.
- Add ¼ Tablespoon butter and 3 Tablespoons of Rum or Bourbon to each mug and fill with the hot apple cider.
- Garnish with a thin apple slice and a cinnamon stick (optional).
- Sip and enjoy!!!
- Omit the alcohol for a non-alcoholic version.
- Use ¼ teaspoon Earth Balance in place of butter for a vegan version.
- Use the freshest, organic spices you can find. You want all their essential oils.
- Adjust the spices to your liking. Use just whole spices or just powdered spices. Play with the flavor profile by adding a strip of orange zest, star anise or fresh ginger root, etc.
- This recipe can be made two days in advance. After steeping the cider and spices for fifteen minutes, strain out the whole spices and decant the cider into a heat proof container (Mason jars work great). Just before serving, pour the cider into a saucepan and bring just to a boil and serve as directed.