- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk (use sweetened condensed coconut milk for vegan version)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon dried (ground ginger)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- seeds from one vanilla bean
- pinch of sea salt
- In a medium bowl combine all of the ingredients. Mix until fully incorporated.
- Pour the syrup into a clean jar fitted with an airtight lid (mason jar type).
- The masala chai syrup will keep for up to six months in the refrigerator.
- Stir 1-2 tablespoons of syrup into a cup of freshly brewed black tea and drink up.
- The ratio of tea to syrup is a personal preference so feel free to adjust the ratio to your liking
- The spices in the syrup will settle over time so be sure to stir the syrup before use.
- I recommend using fresh organic spices to achieve the best flavor. Old spices loss much of their essential oil and their flavor is muted
- Instead of throwing away the leftover vanilla pod I recommend adding if to your sugar jar to create wonderful vanilla scented sugar.
Special Equipment: Glass jars with air tight lid, such as mason jars Adapted from: Lillie Auld of Butter Me Up Brooklyn